High power magnets with a wide range of applications achieve maximum performance while maintaining minimum size. They can be made in blocks, rings, arcs, discs, spheres, trapezoids, triangles, and many other shapes.
- Rare Earth magnet
- Offers the highest Br and Hci values
- The strongest magnet available – up to 52 MGOe
- Susceptible to oxidation due to high iron content
- Can be used in environments up to 200°C
Neodymium magnets have a wide range of uses from renewable energy, powering electric car motors, kinetic art pieces, medical devices such as MRIs and magnetic levitation as seen in maglev train systems.
Custom Neodymium Magnets and Magnetic Assemblies
Neodymium magnets are a type of rare earth magnet and are the most common rare earth permanent magnets in the world. They are composed of Neodymium (Nd), Iron (Fe) and Boron (B), and are some of the most powerful permanent magnets known to man. However, these magnets are vulnerable to corrosion if they are exposed to the elements. To protect the magnet from corrosion, the magnet is usually coated with nickel. Other coating options are aluminum, zinc, tin, copper, epoxy, silver and gold.
Extremely strong and affordable, neodymium magnets are commonly used in consumer products such cell phones, loudspeakers, fasteners and toys. Industrially, they are used in metal detectors, oil filters, alternators, flow meters and as clamps by welders. MRI machines, hybrid and electric vehicles, and wind turbines all employ neodymium magnets. These high power magnets achieve maximum performance while maintaining minimum size. They can be made in blocks, rings, arcs, discs, spheres, trapezoids, triangles, and many other shapes. Ni-Cu-Ni plating is most applied and other coatings/finishes are available. Radially aligned magnets are available to replace arcs and grain boundary diffusion is available in commercial quantities.
NEODYMIUM MAGNET MATERIAL CHARTS
Plastic Bonded Neodymium Magnets
- Popular resin bonded magnet (resin bonds particles during the compression bonded or injection molded process)
- Available up to 12 MGOe and with a coating
- Typical applications include encoders and BLDC motors
- Temperature limit of 150°C
- Low cost, low electrical conductivity
Plastic bonded neodymium magnets are-cost effective while offering high performance and tolerances in addition to low electrical conductivity. It is possible to multipole magnetize them as a complete ring, and they can be designed to achieve specific flux density profiles. These are especially well suited for applications such as minimizing cogging torque in motors. These injection molded magnets are an excellent choice for higher volume applications.
Compression bonded magnets can also be easily machined, making them suitable for low volume production in manufacturing magnets with multipole magnetization, skew angled poles, and various other directions of magnetizations. Magnetizing patterns are only limited by whether or not a magnetizing coil fixture can be produced to give the required magnetizing pattern.
- Bonded NdFeB magnets can be compression or injection molded to net shape. These high tolerances can be achieved without the need for further machining.
- Injection molded magnets are available in both neodymium and ferrite varieties.
- Injection molded ferrite magnets offer high durability and resistance to shock, as well as a low cost and extreme resistance to corrosions and conditions such as low density.
- Available in high tolerance and complex shapes.
- No coating required, although black epoxy and Parylene coatings are available.
BONDED NEODYMIUM MAGNET MATERIAL CHARTS
View More Custom Magnet Materials
Let’s work together to scale your manufacturing.
We provide expert calculations to help with your design path. Determine holding force, field strength, and more with our free magnetic calculators.
Learn the language of magnets. See a definition for many technical and scientific terms describing the nature of magnets.
Get the latest information on the permanent magnet industry and news about Bunting-DuBois.
Learn more about our magnetic products and capabilities by reading and downloading our Catalogs.
Read about some of the real-world applications where our custom magnets and magnetic assemblies help our customers achieve success.